Yesterday on twitter people talked about whether to join a lab from a new PI with the risk that they do not get tenure, or whether to join an older PI who might leave or move or whatever. This is a difficult decision with many factors, but say you've chosen a lab and then all of a sudden the bomb gets dropped and the PI has to or chose to leave. Who in the lab is screwed the most?
1. The newest grad student who just decided to join the lab.
2. The grad student who is a couple years into their project but faaaaaar from finishing up.
3. The grad student who is really almost done, but just has to finish a few things and write their thesis.
4. The foreign post-doc who needs to leave the country when they don't have a job.
5. The favorite post-doc who thought they had saved their ass (i.e. secure funding) by writing a multi-PI grant with their PI.
6. Did I forget anyone?