Some incoherent thoughts on fitting in

May 11 2016 Published by under Academia, blogging, meeting, new job, role models, science

Last week I went to a conference with nearly 100% medical doctors. It was interesting, but also weird to go somewhere where it was so obvious that I did not fit in. I was there as a scientist, to learn how doctors look at things and what is important to them in treating patients*. It really made me think about how you fit in somewhere. It made me think about Doctor_PMS's post about how to fit into science Twitter when you're no longer a scientist and it made me think of nicoleandmaggie's recent post on who you are online compared to IRL. And I've started this blog post a couple times trying to put my own thoughts on paper but they are just too incoherent to press the publish button. So I'll just leave you with this (very broad) question: Do you feel like you fit in where you are (online or offline)?

*this was a very good learning experience and I can highly recommend it to academic scientists too. Some meetings already provide this mix of clinical and preclinical people of course.

• drugmonkey says:

• ampanmdagaba says:

Only dead people can fit ideally (can be retrofitted); real live people are always problematic one way or another, and that's a good thing!

Ha! I agree that it can be good not to always fit in. It just feels much more comfortable...

• potnia theron says:

One of the best thing about getting old: no more fucks to give about fitting in.

• becca says:

I was talking to a healthcare provider the other day about my job and she asked "you really don't feel you fit in there, do you?". I was surprised, because I've never felt like I fit in at a job. Some places that's been painful, some places just a bit awkward, but pretty universal. When I was younger it was more tied up in Imposter Syndrome, but it's there in other contexts too.
    There was a study out recently about teaching people dance moves to go with particular music, then putting them on a dance floor wearing headphones. People who danced the same dance as those around them had higher pain tolerance in a subsequent test (different dancing produced no effect or perhaps slightly sensitized to pain). I think this should be nicknamed the Zumba effect. While I still agree with my adolescent self that conformity has its hazards, I can't deny it feels good sometimes.

Yes it does. Does the HCP's remark make you reconsider your job or do you feel okay where you are? Or does it need more time to feel like you fit in?

• Thanks for the link!

And as for fitting in, sometimes yes, sometimes no.